04 Apr Healthy Apple Crisp with Brio
Dessert just got a little sweeter with this healthy apple crisp. Vanilla Caramel Brio is the perfect complement to a soft, warm, healthy apple crisp, plus this creamy flavor has 6g protein and healthy Omega 3s, so you can get the stuff you need by eating the stuff you want.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Ready in: 1:10 h
Yield: 6-10 servings
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (may be substituted with cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 cups chopped and peeled apples (about 5 small to medium apples)
For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil, room temperature (not melted)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Slightly less than 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and pull out your 8″x8″ pan.
- Mix the maple syrup, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Peel and core the apple, then cut into 1/3″ pieces. Place the apples in the maple syrup mixture and stir until the apples are well coated. Place in the ungreased pan.
- In another medium mixing bowl, stir together almond flour, coconut flour, and cinnamon. Then add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt, and mix until combined.
- Pulse the pecans or walnuts in a food processor until they’re in small pieces (about 1/8″ in size). You can also chop them by hand. Stir the nuts into the topping mixture.
- Drop walnut-sized pieces of topping over the apples. Gently press down any nuts that are sticking out so they don’t burn.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the topping is brown and crisp and the apples are bubbling. The topping will crisp up much slower than a traditional crisp, but don’t worry as it will become crispy towards the the end of the baking time. Cover the crisp with foil if the topping starts to brown too early.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve, topping each bowl with a rich and creamy scoop of Vanilla Caramel Brio.